Sept/Aug 2012 News Updates
It’s been a very busy couple of months as always for the Asian Australian screen scene which is always sweet music to our ears!
Most recently, we were very excited to attend the Colour Film Festival directed by Gary Paramanathan. The film program included a number of Asian Australian filmmakers such as Corrie Chen’s WONDER BOY, Matt Pastor’s RANDOM, as well as Mike Kang’s IT’S ABOUT SURVIVAL and another film he directed called KEMI which followed the stories of several African Australians in Sydney’s Blacktown to name just a few. Read more about the full program here.
Photos: Kemi, Wonder Boy, Random and It’s About Survival. Pics by Indigo Willing.
To celebrate Colour FF and to catch up with a range of local arts networks, the AAFFN also held a meet up on the following day at the QLD State Library. Attending were: Dr Indigo Willing, Dr Sukhmani Khorana, Dr Susan Leong, filmmaker Feal, Amadeo Marquez-Perez, Anna Yen and Gary Paramanathan. The AAFFN’s Indigo and Amadeo then caught up with Contact Inc’s Lenine Bourke the following day. Thanks to everyone who came along to discuss their projects and show their support for diversity on the screen!
Other exciting news includes:
– Casual Melbourne AAFFN and AASRN Asian Australian lunch meet up Sunday 21st October at Melbourne central – cheap and cheerful:https://www.facebook.com/events/476603875697085/
– Shout out to Matt Pastor whose film is screens at Footscray Community Arts Centre:https://www.facebook.com/events/337904276296752/
– Colour FF visits Tasmania 25 Sept. Find out more here.
– The Brisbane International Film Festival is looking for volunteers. Apply here.
– Casual Brisbane Asian Australian meet up Sept 23 to coincide with Colour FF – cheap and cheerful:https://www.facebook.com/events/362881890461477/
– Performing arts workshop by Contact Inc. Contact Academy will be starting in 4 weeks! Spaces are limited so don’t miss out on your chance to learn some amazing performing arts skills for free.When: 24th and 25th of September from 9:30 to 4:30 http://contact.org.au/contact-academy-2012
– Earlier this month, Sept 5: Opening Thursday night at The Zenith Theatre in Chatswood, Stories East & West. Six storytellers in a profoundly moving show directed by William Yang and Annette Shun Wah for Performance 4a.http://youtu.be/ztt4SCgcit8 Book at zeniththeatre.com.au
– Sydney peeps: Colour FF is also on at the Chauvel on the 12th Sept (plus look out for Melbs dates on their website)
– Don’t forget to check out our new page for AAFFN articles:https://asianaustralianfilmforum.wordpress.com/articles/
– Shout out to Other FF: http://otherfilmfestival.com/ – five days celebrating international cinema dedicated to the richness of the lived experience of disability.
– ‘IMMIGRANTS and CIGARETTES’ film news
(Directed by Mike Kang and with actors Felino Dolloso and Renee Lim and more). See more news in Destination Flavour at:
– FWD from ‘Lost Years’ documentary maker: We are interested in screening Lost Years in Australia and NZ. Our documentary was shot in Canada, Australia, NZ, USA and China. We just won the Grand Prize, Best Feature Documentary at RIIFF in Providence, RI, USA. Please check us out athttp://www.facebook.com/lostyearsface .
& here (thanks Pinoy news for info):
– The Boat, a film by Australian director S. Phakonkham, screening in So Cal FF – read more herehttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152148191565227&set=a.10150800681190227.737124.111912780226&type=1&the
and read more about Somchay here:
– Casting For Better Man
A four-part television drama series, Better Man, to be directed by Khoa Do is currently seeing Vietnamese actors for main and supporting roles. Produced by FreemantleMedia, the series will air on SBS in 2013. The se
We are also looking for volunteer writers and journalists to assist us to develop more articles and our news bulletins. Thanks for your support!